Wednesday, December 23, 2015

The Winter Solistice

Right from my childhood, I have always been a trivia buff. I knew what summer solstice was and what winter solstice was and the date it falls on June 21/Dec 21 respectively ( oh yeah it does vary by a day at times). I had an idea what it was but never quite realized what it meant and why it mattered. The first quarter of my life was in Southern India and the two terms I mentioned above hardly mattered over there as the variation of day was not much. You read in news papers about Winter Solstice or Summer Solstice when the date approaches but it dint really register or mean much to me.

Just for illustration, June 21 in 2015 in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu my hometown had Sunrise at 6:00 AM and sunset at 6:47 PM and that's like 12 Hrs 47 min of daylight. Dec 21 in 2015 in the same place the sunrise was at 6:35 AM and sunset was at 6:04 PM and that's around 11 hrs 28 min of sunlight

Of course most of Southern India or India/ South East Asia / Middle east ( other places I have lived in) are somewhat similar there might be slight variation as you go norther but most of the tropical places we don't have too much variation between longest and shortest days. Or at least I didn't really notice it much. Well during my last 5 years in India I lived for 3 years in Mumbai and 2 in Chennai both of which don't have any winter and just have a very hot season and not so hot season

Only after coming to Seattle, I was able to witness 4 clear and distinct seasons and in Seattle for the same dates - June 21 in 2015 the sunrise was at 7:55 AM and sunset was at 4:20 PM and that is 8 hours and 25 min of  winter sunlight. Meanwhile in June 21 2015 the sunrise was at 5:12 AM and sunset was 9:11 PM and that's almost 16 hours of summer sunlight.  The contrast was too stark especially when winter comes. For a month or so in winter there would be no sunlight when you start for work around 8 AM and it will be dark when you get back home even though I would be back home by 5 PM. To add to this it would be mostly gloomy weather with rain and cold winds would keep appearing every now and then and that was indeed a depressing combo. You really missed those warm summer months with those long days of beautiful weather when most people would spend lot of time outdoors. Winter Solstice marked the day when you turn a corner and the world starts getting back to brightness a little more with maybe 1-2 minutes of extra sun a day gradually and in a few months you stop noticing the darkness, the cold winds, constant rains and the general gloom. The winter will still be there for a few more months, but at least the days slowly start getting longer
After my first year in Seattle, I was very sure there is some connection between sunlight and warmth and general cheerfulness and in the next year you would really wish for Dec 21 to come soon and for Feb middle when things start getting better/brighter. Also you sort of understand why they packed a set of holidays and family/social events during this period as the lack of sun does get to you at times

After a few years of that, now while living in Dallas, TX there is 10 hours of sunlight even on winter solstice and there is still sunlight when I step out in morning  for work and when I'm getting back in the evening so it doesn't feel that bad and I'm back to not paying that much attention. Sure it is winter and yes the day does feel slightly shorter but still it doesn't feel so bad as to wish for Dec 21 to come and to just get past the worst!

No comments: