Sunday, February 12, 2006

Why are we so 'Horny' ?

Last month on a nondescript weekday , I was in the bus back to my home from office. Was stuck as usual in the traffic jam in the same area as usual but for a change had a female colleague i knew sitting next to me. Traffic was crawling slowly , conversation was also at bare minimum as we were all frustrated n tired and air was filled with sighs from tired travellers n the never ending honks from sea of vehicles all around us. Then suddenly out of blue she suddenly asked "Why are we Indians so horny? " !!! Got the shock of my life and I almost dropped the book i had in my hand ... i din't know how to react ! we guys gen classify gals into varous categories n sub categories and ppl u can talk to x things till y level and not and all. This gal was in my goody good or 'sati savithri' kinda class , so I was clueless as to what to say to such kind of observation. Then suddenly i was wondering why now , why to me and what not . My Mind started exploring countless possiblities and their different permutaions and combinations and also thoughts like what is happening to me, Im i alright , did i hear it right or am I flipping and for a moment the world that i lived seemed to have been turned upside down, suddenly i wondered did i judge only her wrong or everyone wrong or have i judged everything wrong !But then the next statement brought all such thoughts crashing down and cleared everything . She followed the first one with another gem: "That guy in the Santro car behind us just doesn't take his hands from the horn" ! Then it struck me , suddenly things were very clear , things seemed to flip back and everything seemed to return to noemal and world seemed fine a much better place to be as i became more sure of everything ! 'Horn + Horn + Horn ... = Horny' ; I repeated to myself and put on a smile of realisation ( in truth relaxation ) . I concured with her , ya we are horn-happy i told her but from the looks on her face i knew she dint exactly get my analogy to the common english usage , but then judging from the earlier statement , I knew i was expecting too much.That is Indian usuage of English ! But having said that i started thinking about the relevance of her point ya we are hornhappy , vehicle before u stops for a sec; "HONK" , u try to balst him out of orbit and try to zoom ahead on non-existant roads ... sitting in the comforts of the bus we were having an elaborate discussion of this 'Indian habit of honking too much' , as the conversation progressed i was told that during a team dinner with a guy from her client company , the 'white man' had remarked that 'the traffic in this country is a mess and ppl keep honking too much' , which was what had made her realise the peril the country was in and hence the concerns. "what will he think" she continued , "what will happen to our image as a growing superpower, these motorists observe traffic rules at all" she thundered and shook her head with resignation , I also joined the fray and nodded half ashamed of image of my country and also for the part i too play in it when im on the road . Then as her stop was approachin she got up and stood near the door and much before the stop the traffic halted , the lady jumped out quickly so into middle of the road from the bus and dodged her way past 'bad mannred' motorists who again resorted to honking on seeing someone blocking their path and as i looked out of the window , she running through the road cursing those 'shameless' motorists who were disturbing her walk through the road to the otherside. She may not have heard of Zebras other than ones in discovery channel or zoos we used to visit as kids , So i deleted the mental note i was about to make to talk to her about zebra crossings next time. No wonder the 'white man' was saying what a chaotic country !

2 comments:

Vimal said...

Cool da ......
this is very true ....still ppl he is killin me!!!!

killin----nothing more than pinching


Vimal
Smile in your Voice :-)

Bals said...

Anush,

How about writing a blog about pushy ?? ;-)

- Bals.